Sometimes files may be missing after the download process, but verifying the cache can usually rectify this.
1) Verify your Stronghold: Warlords game files.
- Login to the Steam client
- Within 'Library', right-click on Stronghold: Warlords and select 'Properties'
- Select the 'Local Files' tab and click the 'Verify Integrity of Game Cache...' button.
- Steam will check all the game files were downloaded correctly.
This process may take several minutes. If any files are missing then Steam will download them the next time you run the game.
- Open the GOG Galaxy client
- Click on Stronghold Warlords in your game library
- Click on the "MORE" button
- Hover over manage in the drop-down menu and select Verify/Repair
This process may take several minutes. If any files are missing then GOG will download them the next time you run the game.
2) Do you have an anti-virus program installed on your computer?
Lots of games have problems with overprotective anti-virus programs. If you are using anti-virus please make sure Stronghold Warlords has been added to your list of exceptions. Please consult your anti-virus manual for instructions on how to do this. The default installation path for the Stronghold Warlords game file is C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Stronghold Warlords\bin\win32_release\StrongholdWarlords.exe
3) Make sure you have installed the prerequisite files required to run Stronghold Warlords
Latest DirectX files:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Stronghold Warlords\resources\directx\DXSETUP.exe
Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Service Pack 1 Redistributable Package (MFC Security Update):
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Stronghold Warlords\resources\redist\vcredist_2010_x86.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Stronghold Warlords\resources\redist\vcredist_2019_x86.exe
4) Delete your Stronghold Warlords initialisation file
Locate your C:\Users\[User]\Documents\Stronghold Warlords\Profiles folder and delete options.xml. This will force Stronghold: Warlords to redetect your computer settings again when loading the game.